By Lonely Planet, Ben Handicott
Thank the celebrities for the world's eccentric creditors; hoarders of items appealing, unusual or downright atypical. it really is those documentors of the good and trivial - who are looking to convey us all whatever superb approximately their collections and proportion the insights into humankind each one of them illuminates - who've created the main interesting, tremendous and worthy museums the planet has to provide.
Boggle on the enormity of area, get nostalgic at early life stories or be dumbstruck through the foreign Museum of Toilets... no matter if you are a historical past buff, tech-head or have an inexplicable fascination with clowns, you can find world-class collections right here to pique your curiosity.
Never drag your heels round a lifeless museum back!
Then & now // heritage museums
- Acropolis Museum // Greece
- British Museum // united kingdom
- Forbidden urban // China
- Goethe residence & Goethe Museum // Germany
- Imperial battle Museum // united kingdom
- Museum of Alchemists & Magicians of outdated Prague // Czech Republic
- Museum of Mummies of Guanajuato // Mexico
- National Museum of Anthropology // Mexico
- Old working Theatre Museum & Herb Garret // united kingdom
- Prison Gate Museum // The Netherlands
- Sir John Soane's Museum // united kingdom
- Styrian Armoury // Austria
- Torture Museum // The Netherlands
- Vasa Museum // Sweden
- Viking send Museum // Norway
- Whitney Plantation // united states
The global round us // average heritage museums
- Kunstkamera // Russia 6
- Messner Mountain Museum // Italy
- Sarawak nation Museum // Malaysia
- Smithsonian establishment // united states
Human creativity // artwork & tradition museums
- American vintage Arcade Museum // united states
- Belgian Brewers Museum // Belgium
- Burlesque corridor of popularity // united states
- Coffee Museum // Brazil
- Erawan Museum // Thailand
- Ghibli Museum // Japan
- Grammy Museum // united states
- The eco-friendly Vault // Germany
- Museum of early life // united kingdom
- Musical tools Museum // united states
- Soumaya Museum // Mexico
- Vodka Museum // Russia
Things that cross // technology & expertise museums
- Bicycle Museum of the USA // united states
- Big gap & Open Mine Museum // South Africa
- Exploratorium // united states
- National Maritime Museum // France
- National Rail Museum // united kingdom
- New Mexico Museum of house background // united states
- New York urban hearth Museum // united states
- Pencil Museum // united kingdom
- Porsche Museum // Germany
- Sewer Museum // France
- Sulabh overseas Museum of bogs // India
Peculiar passions // Quirky museums
- Avanos Hair Museum // Turkey
- Clown corridor of status & study Centre // united states
- Cupnoodles Museum // Japan
- Gopher gap Museum // Canada
- International Cryptozoology Museum // united states
- Museum of damaged Relationships // Croatia
- Watermelon Museum // China
About Lonely Planet: Started in 1973, Lonely Planet has turn into the world's top go back and forth consultant writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on the earth. Lonely Planet's challenge is to allow curious travelers to event the realm and to really get to the guts of the locations they locate themselves in.
TripAdvisor tourists' selection Awards 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 winner in favourite shuttle consultant category
'Lonely Planet publications are, with ease, like no other.' - long island instances
'Lonely Planet. it really is on everyone's bookshelves; it truly is in each traveller's palms. it really is on cell phones. it is on the net. it is far and wide, and it really is telling complete generations of individuals the way to shuttle the world.' - Fairfax Media (Australia)
Read or Download 50 Museums to Blow Your Mind PDF
Similar travel books
Even if you’ve known as London your house for many years or simply arrived final evening, there’s details within the now not For travelers advisor to London you must understand. From intimate local info to how you can rating tickets to the large soccer fit, this consultant might help you grasp this outstanding urban like knowledgeable.
This complete better half, now in its 3rd variation, presents crucial pretrip making plans recommendation, local overviews with maps and itineraries, and sensible assets for locating paintings out of the country. Now in complete color filled with inspirational photos.
Jogging footwear? money. Metrocard? money. Sombrero? (Just a tenet. )
allow Awkwafina—the Queens-born rap artist of “NYC Bitches” fame—be your consultant to the hidden gem stones of latest York urban (natives, we’re speaking to you, too. ) with 10 jogging travel adventures that you just don’t desire a belief fund to get pleasure from. trip again in time exploring revolutionary-era Tottenville or Louis Armstrong's residence in Corona. Gorge your self at the haute-cuisine of the street-savvy, from real pierogi in Little Poland to steam dumplings in Flushing. Roll with Awkwafina, and she’ll express you the neighborhoods you by no means knew you have been lacking (and a couple of you have been lacking the purpose of).
- Fodor's Vienna & the Best of Austria: with Salzburg & Skiing in the Alps (2nd Edition)
- Squeamish About Sushi: Food Adventures in Japan
- Ramble On: The story of our love for walking Britain
- Lonely Planet Europe’s Best Trips (Travel Guide)
Extra resources for 50 Museums to Blow Your Mind
SEEN ONE, SEEM ’EM ALL, SURELY? Bicycles have come a long way since their mysterious first appearance (there’s no verified claim to ‘inventor of the bicycle’). ) stability of a BMX, you won’t believe the designs that have pedalled out of showrooms over the years. And you can see many of them here. The curators reckon that with about 1000 bikes in the collection, you’ll probably see your own first machine here; prepare for a little nostalgia as you recall that first tumble off your bike... ZA IS THIS JUST A BIG HOLE IN THE GROUND?
There’s even a lock of Robert Stephenson’s hair. He was from locomotive royalty, and built the Rocket in 1829, a train that set the pace for steam train construction through the 19th century. IT’S TOO LATE FOR YOU. HMMM. Yes, it might be. But just go. Join me. We can wander the railway lines together. Forever. ORG TAKE ME TO THE MOON! ) building. WHY AM I IN THE NEW MEXICO DESERT? This region was home to a significant amount of development work for the space program. And, you know, Roswell is just 100 miles away: there’s heritage here.
TELL US MORE ABOUT HOW AND WHY THIS MUSEUM CAME TO BE. The museum began as a passion project of trial attorney John Cummings and his director of research, Ibrahima Seck. Cummings spent 16 years and close to US$8 million of his personal fortune to build the museum and educate visitors on the realities of slavery and its impact on modern America. HOW DOES THIS DESIRE TRANSLATE TO A MUSEUM EXHIBIT? This is an open-air museum, a 1700-acre property designed to allow visitors to experience the world of an 1830s sugar plantation through the eyes of the enslaved people who lived and worked here.