By Tom Stern
The connection among philosophy and theatre is a critical topic within the writings of Plato and Aristotle and of dramatists from Aristophanes to Stoppard. the place Plato argued that playwrights and actors might be banished from the appropriate urban for his or her suspect imitations of fact, Aristotle argued that theatre, relatively tragedy, was once important for exciting our feelings and supporting us to figuring out ourselves.
Despite this wealthy heritage the research of philosophy and theatre has been mostly neglected in modern philosophy. this can be the 1st booklet to introduce philosophy and theatre. It covers key subject matters and debates, proposing the contributions of significant figures within the historical past of philosophy, including:
• what's theatre?
• How does theatre examine with different arts?
• Theatre as imitation, together with Plato on "mimesis"
• fact and phantasm within the theatre, together with Nietzsche on tragedy
• Theatre as background theatre and morality, together with Rousseau's criticisms of theatre
• viewers and emotion, together with Aristotle on catharsis
• Theatre and politics, together with Brecht's Epic Theatre.
Including annotated extra studying and summaries on the finish of every bankruptcy, Philosophy and Theatre is a perfect place to begin for these learning philosophy, theatre reviews and similar topics within the arts and humanities.(less)